Published 19:33 on 29 Jan 2020
Do you have a child who plans to try sailing this year? We have a unique opportunity for them to build confidence in capsizing and capsize recovery in the warmth and safety of a swimming pool. Taking place on Saturday 8th February from 3:30pm till around 5:30pm.
We will practice:
- Re-righting an optimist dinghy from capsized
- Re-righting an optimist dinghy from inverted
- Climbing back aboard using tow straps
- Swimming out from underneath the hull (entrapment)
- Swimming out from underneath the sail
- General familiarity with swimming in a bouyancy aid
This is a unique opportunity that we are only able to perform once a year. We obviously need to hire the pool to do this and so need to charge for participation. Places are limited and will be first come first served. Sign up here: https://www.drsc.co.uk/event/junior-capsize-practice-wentworth-pool
The pool is obviously heated and there will be plenty of people around to assist without the usual dangers of rescue boats with propellers.
The session will start at 4pm prompt. Please arrive at 3.30pm to get changed. Normal swimming gear should be worn or sailing gear if wished.
Children will probably be in the pool for around an hour.
Last updated 13:51 on 24 March 2020